Skip to main content
Someday the tombs will break
and the veil will split
as the last gasping breath leaves your lungs
but tonight she pulls you to her chest
as those tiny lungs expand for the very first time
and suddenly nothing else seems to matter,
not the whispers or the rumors
the sleepless nights
the long journey or the excruciating pain
There's only this moment
and your perfect face.

Hope is born
and God is WITH us
and the smell of sweat and birth
mingled with milk and manure
reminds us that sometimes
the most glorious of stories
begins in the dirtiest of places.

The Creator and the created
the Giver and the gift
the holy and the human.

They've all heard about you
but tonight so few seem to notice you're here.
You know you're not at all
what they had in mind
and you'll turn everything upside down.

You'll call the tax collector out from the crowd
and down from the tree
and tell him to invite you home,
command the Pharisees
to drop the stones
and drop the act,
touch the untouchables
and wash the feet of those that follow you.

You'll multiply the fish
and fill their stomachs
but teach that man cannot live on bread alone,
You'll heal the blind
but teach that not all who have eyes
can truly see.

You'll speak of lust that condemns like adultery
and anger that condemns like murder
then talk of a grace that covers it all.

You'll walk among them,
the broken, the desperate, the hurting, the lonely
and you will offer them peace
You will weep
and you will pray
You will feel the pull of temptation
and the sting of betrayal
You will hunger and thirst
and feel weariness deep into your bones

You will watch them chase after
so many things

and you will tell them of a God
who wrapped himself in flesh
so that he could be
their Savior.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beautiful song, beautiful words

I made You promises a thousand times I tried to hear from Heaven But I talked the whole time I think I made You too small I never feared You at all No If You touched my face would I know You? Looked into my eyes could I behold You? What do I know of You Who spoke me into motion? Where have I even stood But the shore along Your ocean? Are You fire? Are You fury? Are You sacred? Are You beautiful? What do I know? What do I know of Holy? I guess I thought that I had figured You out I knew all the stories and I learned to talk about How You were mighty to save Those were only empty words on a page Then I caught a glimpse of who You might be The slightest hint of You brought me down to my knees What do I know of You Who spoke me into motion? Where have I even stood But the shore along Your ocean? Are You fire? Are You fury? Are You sacred? Are You beautiful? What do I know? What do I know of Holy? What do I know of Holy? What do I know of wounds that will heal my shame? And a God who gave l

Your life is worth living

Sometimes, as a parent, I come across a news story or a statistic or a blog that breaks my heart in a million pieces, because even though it's not about YOU, there's always, always the image of your face. Like today. Today, I read that suicide is the second leading cause of death in children aged 10-24, and I thought "What if that was you? What if you decided that you were better without this world, that this world was somehow BETTER without you?" And I wanted to tell you that this will never be true. NEVER. I remember the day you were born and the moment they placed you on my chest for the first time. I remember how I looked into your half-open eyes and thought about all the prayers I'd prayed for you and all the plans I'd made for you, and I knew my life was forever changed and immeasurably better because you were in it. I pictured God knitting together your little body and filling it with personality, and I sat in awe of His masterpiece. I breat

With great power comes great responsiblity

Today I was on a celebrity's social media site, browsing the comments underneath a picture she posted speaking out against abortion, and I was honestly surprised by the thousands of hateful comments she got. People were angry and defensive and so sure in their belief that sometimes abortion was the best choice. At first I just felt sad and mad and all the feelings I can't help but feel when confronted with the fact that we are killing babies that should be living. But this one sentiment kept jumping out at me from the comments: "All the pro-lifers acting as if they're better. You're really just pro-birth because if you cared about LIFE, you would be enriching the lives of people already here. You'd adopt, volunteer, etc. You don't give two shits about those babies that are born and then given to foster families to get raped and beaten. Until you all are actually dong something good for those kids' lives, stfu." "Pro-lifers mainly